Stitches at Home Guidelines…
When you follow the link to your Stitches Expo at Home sessions, and click the JOIN MEETING button, you are entering a virtual classroom. And, as at live events, there are a few things to remember.
During class, the instructor is in charge of the room. In Zoom that means the instructor has the ability to mute the students. (As you may know, small background sounds, even the click of needles, can become distracting noise when magnified by 10 or 20 microphones.) The instructor decides when you can un-mute, whether ‘chat’ is part of the session, when questions are welcome, etc. This is all part of making sure that students get the most out of their time together.
Please take time to read this page; as a student, you agree to these guidelines.
1. Be Prepared. Once you register for a Stitches Expo at Home class, you will be emailed a receipt. Your Dashboard will be available February 23rd to access pre-class work and supplies. The Zoom meeting links will be added closer to the event. We encourage you to check your Dashboard before coming to the Virtual Check-in, so we can answer questions before the event begins. During check-in, we will review your schedule and a bit of Zoom etiquette and functionality before class. All classes will be accessed through your dashboard. No Zoom links will be emailed to you.
Please also read the Stitches Expo at Home FAQ page. There is information in there you need to know.
It’s also important that your Zoom application (regardless of device) be running the most current version of the Zoom meeting software. Here is a support link from Zoom that will help you with that.
2. Be Seen. With many virtual events, video is one-way and you are not seen. This limits the experience for all attendees. During Stitches Expo at Home, we ask that you enable your webcam so everyone will be able to see you and feel your energy.
Be aware of your surroundings (for example, if you take your device to the restroom, be sure your audio and video is turned off).
If you do not wish for people to see your surroundings, please use the virtual background feature in Zoom. You can learn more here… https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-Background
3. Be Present. This is a LIVE virtual event — make the most of it. You are an important part of the experience! Support your fellow students and the instructor by giving them your full attention. Remember, to minimize distractions, keep phones on ‘do not disturb’ and turn off text and email notifications. Class sessions will start on time, so check in a few minutes early. Sessions run 2 hours but we are encouraging teachers to give you a 5 minute break at some point during that time. Plan ahead to have snacks and liquids on hand.
4. Be Aware. Ambient noises in your place of residence such as the television playing or a dog barking might not bother you. But it might bother your instructor and/or your classmates. When you’re not speaking, the best thing you can do is to mute yourself. You can always unmute yourself if you have a question or comment.
5. Have Questions? There will be opportunities to ask questions and dedicated time to interact with each other during Stitches Expo at Home.
6. Need Tech Support? During the classes, a live customer-support person will be available here or on your dashboard. If you have an audio, visual, software, or hardware problem, ask the customer-support person not your instructor.
7. Be Respectful. It is vital to everyone that Stitches Expo at Home be a safe place for all students, instructors, sponsors, and staff. Any individual who mistreats or disrespects any other person will be removed and not allowed to return for the duration of the event. XRX, Inc. reserves the right to permanently ban anyone who does not comply with the Statement of Principles and Conduct (see below). Thank you for being respectful and using good judgement.
Statement of Principles & Conduct: XRX, Inc. is the parent company of Stitches Events, an equal-opportunity employer with regard to our employees, teachers, contractors, and other staff. As such, we consider discrimination of any kind unacceptable. Diversity and equality are essential to who we are, and respect for everyone is a core part of our identity. Discrimination based on gender, age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, disability, medical or a genetic condition will not be tolerated.
We strongly believe that it is our responsibility to promote and defend diversity at our shows. We have a zero-tolerance policy toward discrimination, bullying, and hate speech. Among, but not limited to, the conducts that we find unacceptable are bullying, inappropriate physical contact, or any form of physical, verbal, or non-verbal harassment or abuse toward anyone for any reason. As such, we reserve the right to take appropriate actions and/or remove from our shows any person that, in our judgment, fails to adhere to our zero-tolerance discrimination and/or bullying policies.
8. Unauthorized Recording of Stitches at Home Content: By signing up for a Stitches Expo at Home Class or other Stitches Expo at Home event, you warrant and represent that you will not make unauthorized duplications of the video content—even for personal use. Violation of this agreement will be met with both legal and civil recourses.