Basics of Design for Knit and Crochet Garments
With Sandra Gutierrez
Feb 5, 10:00am-12:00pm
Feb 6, 10:00am-12:00pm
Feb 13, 10:00am-12:00pm CST
Learn the basics of garment design that to create crochet and knit garments for yourself or multi-sized patterns.
Class sessions will be recorded and remain accessible online to registered students of the class for 14 days following the event.
We will cover the basics necessary to go from a garment idea in a sketchbook to getting a pattern ready to sell in multiple sizes.
Some of the things that you will learn are:
– where and how to find the relevant measurements
– what is gauge and what is it for
– how to grade a pattern for multiple sizes
– hacks and shortcuts for grading and pattern writing
– how to use the numbers we get on a spreadsheet when grading and then integrate them into an actual pattern
– different garment constructions — their cons and pros
– waist and sleeve shaping explained
– how to calculate yardage for multiple sizes from a single sample
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this workshop:
It is recommended that you have made at least one knitted or crochet garment. You don’t need to have designed anything.
• Access to a spreadsheet program such as Excel, Numbers, or Google Sheets
• Knitting or Crochet Basics: Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Stitch markers, Tapestry needles (large and small), Tape measure, Small calculator, Needles or crochet hooks of various sizes