Top-Down Center-Out Method for Fitting Pants
A virtual class with Jennifer Stern
Oct 8, 10:00am-12:00pm & 2:00-4:00pm and Oct 9, 10:00am-12:00pm & 2:00-4:00pm CDT
Join Jennifer for the Top-Down Center-Out Method for fitting pants. This approach created by Ruth Collins will help you learn the skills you need to fit pants by yourself with the help of two mirrors.
Class sessions will be recorded and remain accessible online to registered students of the class for 4 weeks following the event.
There are 5 steps to this fit method where the pattern is graded to agree with your body requirements, it starts at the waist and continues to the hem.
We will start simply with a fitted non-stretch waistband and a single leg. Then see how to prepare the pattern pieces, cut them out, and sew them together for an attractive and comfortable fit. Once the center front and back are established, we will adjust the side seams to finish the process.
You leave class with a pair of fitted pants and the skills to fit them solo. You will be able to to achieve the fit you desire, plus you can fit them by yourself with the use of two mirrors.
Purchase of a pattern is required to take this class.
Pattern can be purchased at https://theassemblylineshop.com/products/high-waisted-trousers-sewing-pattern?variant=40380613066919
Pattern price is in EUR which is aproximately $19 US dollars at checkout.
Must be comfortable using a ruler to take accurate measurements
• Pants Pattern (kit)
• 2 mirrors so you will be able to see both the front and back view of pants. Mirrors do not need to be ‘on camera’ during class.
• 1-1/2 yards of non-stretch pants weight fabric.
• 1” – 1-1/2” Ban Rol* or other firm non-stretch interfacing
• 1-yd 1/2” wide sew in Velcro
• 1/2 yd 2” wide sew in Velcro
• Safety Pins or Straight pins for fitting
• Pattern paper
• 18” clear grid ruler
• French curve
• Paper scissors
• Scotch tape in a weighted dispenser
• Pencil and colored pencils to keep track of pattern adjustments
• Sewing machine
• All Purpose Thread
Sewing Basics: Needles, Thread, Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Tape measure, Seam ripper, Pins
Limited pre-class work required.