Buttons and Zippers
With Sarah Peasley
Jan 8, 4:00-6:00pm CST
Add buttons or a zipper to this great little pouch and to all your knit or crocheted items!
Class sessions will be recorded and remain accessible online to registered students of the class for 14 days following the event.
Whether buttons are destined to be the shining stars of a project or to blend into the background, whether they’re functional or purely decorative, we’ll learn to sew them on properly and securely.
Curious about adding a zipper instead? Okay, let’s do it!
In two hours, you’ll make a little button-embellished zippered pouch. Make more, and you’ll have a pretty pile of tiny gifts – or tiny gift holders!
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class:
Must be able to knit or crochet a simple rectangle as directed for homework.
• Yarn: We’re looking for a sturdy fabric: dense enough to support the weight of the buttons, that will not get caught in the zipper, and doesn’t require a lining. Use something fun from your stash. You are welcome to hold two or more strands together.
• Needles/Hook: appropriate to the yarn used
• Blunt needle for seaming knitted/crocheted fabric
• At least three buttons (sizes can vary): one with four holes, one with two holes, one with a shank on the back
• 4″ non-separating zipper (can be longer if you can’t find a 4″ zipper — we’ll talk about shortening zippers)
• sewing needle to sew buttons and zipper on to the pouch.
• At least two colors of thread — one that matches or contrasts with the buttons or knit/crochet fabric the other that contrasts with both the zipper and the knit/crochet fabric