Alter Your Ready-To-Wear: Tops & Dresses Edition
With Jennifer Stern
Oct 9, 10:00am-12:00pm CDT
Sometimes a blouse, shirt, or dress would look and fit better with a small alteration. That small tweak doesn’t require a tailor, just a little guidance in how to get it done.
Class sessions will be recorded and remain accessible online to registered students of the class for 14 days following the event.
Take those lovely garments out of the closet, and let’s revive them with a needle and thread — and maybe a pair of scissors. Be ready to try things on so Jennifer can see how they fit you and guide you through the process of alterations.
Her step-by-step worksheet will help you keep track of the process you need to follow to complete each alteration. You will learn how to take apart seams easily, and to mark and prep your piece for sewing — either hand- or machine-sewing techniques can get the job done.
Here is a list of some of the things that we can tackle:
• Alter shoulder seams and sleeves for a better fit
• Sew on a button
• Fix a buttonhole
• Take-in or add shape with waist darts or transform waist darts into princess seams
• Shorten or reshape hems or sleeves
• Adjust or change the neckline shape
• Shorten a dress into a tunic or top
• Create a skirt from a dress
• Create a shirt-tail hem on a top with a straight hem
• Add patch or inseam pockets
•Wonder Clips if you own them
•Fusible stay tape
•Garment that needs to be altered
•Thread and perhaps fabric to match garment
•Optional: Sewing machine and needles
•Sewing Basics: Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Tape measure, Seam ripper, Pins