Stencil and Sew: The Bell Project Bag
A virtual class with Jody Alexander
Sept 9, 2:00–4:00pm &
Sept 11, 2:00–4:00pm CDT
Learn to create your own stencils, print them onto fabric, and then make a unique project bag! This pattern-less bag is perfect for storing and transporting your projects. And your new printing skills can add to many of your future makes
Class sessions will be recorded and remain accessible online to registered students of the class for 4 weeks following the event.
We will begin by looking at very simple, but successful, designs for inspiration and then you will cut your own stencils — they can be as simple as wonky lines or lopsided circles – no drawing or design experience necessary! After discussing different inks, brushes, and other tools, students will print onto their fabric. There will be time between classes for the ink to dry, or for you to spend more time on your printing and designing.
We will then move on to constructing The Bell Bag with its clever pattern-less construction made from one piece of fabric (not including handles and ties.) You may hand- or machine- stitch the bag. The bag will be finished and lined, which will be practical for storing and transporting your projects.
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class:
Some sewing experience either stitching by hand or with a machine.
• 1 piece of solid fabric 23 x 23 inches for bag exterior (Robert Kaufman Essex works well for this)
• 1 piece of fabric 23 x 23 for bag lining
• 2 pieces of fabric 10 x 3 inches for handles
• 2 pieces of fabric 10 x 1 1⁄2 inches for ties
• Ink for printing (acrylic paint works as do ink pads: suggested ink pads: Yellow Owl Workshop Ink pads or Ranger Archival ink pads)
• Fabric marker (pen or chalk)
• Exacto knife
• Stencil brush
• Scraps of fabric and/or paper for testing you stencil print
• Sewing machine thread (for hand-stitching or machine sewing)
• 1 – 2 file folders (for stencils – reuse is good!)
• Rotary cutter
• Cutting mat
• Thread snips
• Needles to fit your thread
• Sewing Basics: Needles, Thread, Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Tape measure, Seam ripper, Pins
• Sewing machine
Limited pre-class work required.