- You cannot add "10 Way to Make Money as a Yarn Lover" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
Making Your Own Knitting Rules
With Xandy Peters
Mar 5, 9:00am-12:00pm
This class teaches how to use rules instead of traditional patterns to create one of a kind lace and textured knitting.
Put down that pattern and create your own rules of knitting! In this class we will create stripes, texture, or lace using parametric (rule based) guides instead of restrictive instructions. The temperature blanket is a well-known example of parametric knitting. This popular pattern is knit according to one rule: work one stripe per day in a color determined by the temperature outside. Unlike a traditional pattern that always produces the same result, projects based on parameters and rules have an element of randomness. The first part of the class is a lecture with examples of unique and unrepeatable stitch motifs based on anything from the roll of dice to the number of steps you take in a day. We will also go over techniques and accessories that combine well with different parameters to produce stunning results. The swatches and patterns that we make in the second part of the class will follow your own set of rules. Each student will work on a swatch in class. Everyone will share their results and discuss how each rule affected the outcome of their stitch pattern
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class
Students should be familiar with ONE of these techniques, but do not need to be proficient in all of the following: Beginner Lace, Cables, Bobbles.
• A few balls of solid-colored yarn in any weight; scraps are OK
• At least one multi-color yarn in any weight
• Needles in an appropriate size for your yarns
• Knitting Basics: Sharp scissors, Notebook, Stitch markers, Tapestry needles (large and small), Tape measure, Small calculator, Needles and crochet hooks of various sizes
• Students may use note paper and sketching tools