- You cannot add "Techniques for Hand Sewing Jersey Garments" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
Classic Argyle and Other Retro Sock Designs
An in person class with Harry Wells.
Mar 3, 1:30-4:30pm & Mar 4, 2:00-5:00pm
Love those classic diamond shapes called Argyle, but are you mystified about how to accomplish them? Harry will show you the classic technique, with tips and tricks, of knitting flat argyles, along with a method that makes the seaming nearly invisible without being bulky.
Out of stock
Notify me if this product becomes available.
Learn the construction and seaming technique for Argyle socks as you knit a pair in DK-weight yarn. The workshop is full of tips and tricks as well the formula for calculating diamonds for different gauges. You will also learn more about these classics with two PowerPoint slideshows on contemporary variations and Retro Argyles.
Argyle socks are similar to yet different from traditional top-down heel-flap socks.
Each stage of the argyle sock construction will be covered. Harry also shows you how to calculate the size of Argyle diamonds for different gauges an essential skill for when designing socks, garments, and accessories.
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this workshop:
Participants should be able to accomplish long-tail cast-on, basic knit stitches (K, P, SSK, K2 tog. Having knit a basic top-down, heel-flap sock is an advantage, but not necessary. Having worked with a chart will be helpful, but a quick overview of that skill will be covered in class.
• US 5 (3.75 mm) straight and Double-pointed needles
• DK wt wool yarn (50g/135 yds), 4 colors
• 100g of main color (MC)
• 25g of CC1 (for diamond)
• 25gr of CC2 (for diamond)
• 7g of CC3 (for criss-cross) The Criss-cross color should contrast with all the other colors.
• Highlighter tape or post-it notes
• Small knitting bobbins (EZ Bobs recommended)
• Knitting Basics: Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Stitch markers, Tapestry needles (large and small), Tape measure, Small calculator, Needles and crochet hooks of various sizes