- You cannot add "10 Way to Make Money as a Yarn Lover" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
Alter Your Ready-to-Wear: Tops & Dresses Edition
With Jennifer Stern
Mar 6, 9:00am-12:00pm
Sometimes a blouse, shirt, or dress would look and fit better with a small alteration. That doesn’t require a tailor; with just a little guidance, you can get it done.
Take those barely-worn garments out of the closet and let’s revive them with a needle, thread, and maybe a pair of scissors. Be ready to try things on, so Jenn can see how they fit you and guide you through the process of alterations. Her step-by-step worksheet will help you keep track of the process to complete each alteration. You will learn how to easily take apart seams, and to mark and prep your piece for sewing — either hand- or machine-sewing techniques can get the job done.
Bring your hand needles or sewing machine to work on alterations in class. Or, leave class with alterations prepped and ready to sew at home.
Here is a list of some of the things that we can tackle:
• Alter shoulder seams and sleeves for a better fit
• Sew on a button
• Fix a buttonhole
• Take-in or add shape with waist darts or transform waist darts into princess seams
• Shorten or reshape hems or sleeves
• Adjust or change the neckline shape
• Shorten a dress into a tunic or top
• Create a skirt from a dress
• Create a shirt-tail hem on a top with a straight hem
• Add patch or inseam pockets
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class
Helpful if you know how to use a seam ripper.
• Garments that need to be altered
• Marking chalk,
• Wonder Clips if you own them
• Wonder Tape
• Fusible stay tape
• Optional: Sewing machine
• Threads to match garments
• Hand needles
• Sewing Basics:Thread, Sharp scissors, Notebook, Pen or pencil with eraser, Tape measure, Seam ripper, Pins