Color Magic for Rigid Heddle Weavers
With Yoriko Oki
Mar 5, 9:00am-12:00pm & 2:00-5:00pm
Join weaver, dyer, and colorist Yoriko Oki and focus on the special challenge (and opportunity) that combining colors in warp and weft yarns provides.
Have you ever had a warp you loved but were disappointed when you finished weaving it?
Weavers have a unique challenge when it comes to colors. Because of the optical blending caused by the warp and weft, you have to consider how the warp and weft colours interact with each other when you are planning a project or deciding on the weft color(s).
In this class, you will learn basic color theory with a slide presentation, and have a chance to try out various color combinations on your loom. Come to play with colors!
Special skills or knowledge needed to take this class
Must know how to warp a rigid heddle loom and weave plain weave. The knowledge of how to use a pick-up stick is recommended, but not required.
A $20 kit fee will be collected by your instructor during class. Correct change is appreciated.
• Rigid heddle loom
• Pick-up stick or thick knitting needle
• Usual weaving supplies
• Tapestry needle, T-pins, or sewing pins
• Cloth separators
• At least one shuttle (boat shuttle or stick shuttle)
• Pen and paper or notebook
• Bring 3-4 weights to use if you need to repair broken warp ends (this is optional because I know some of you are flying in)