Textile Surface Design: Stencil and Block Printing on Fabric
An in-person class with Jody Alexander
Mar 2, 1:30-4:30pm
Create your own hand-printed fabric! Learn to hand print fabrics with stencils and block printing for use in future projects, or bring a garment or other textile to embellish.
Out of stock
Notify me if this product becomes available.
Design and print your own imagery on fabric for future projects. Or, bring a garment, table cloth, or other textile to embellish. Learn how to cut and print stencils, and carve and make block prints. No drawing or design experience is necessary. Very simple repeated designs can be the most successful!
We will begin by looking at images and samples for inspiration. You will then learn how to transfer images to stencil material and blocks, and how to cut and carve. The fun really begins as we experiment with different inks, tools, and printing techniques.
Using fabrics in your projects that you have printed yourself is very satisfying, and empowering!
Note: Photos show embroidery, but this workshop will include printing only.
A $5 materials fee will be collected during class for speedy cut blocks for carving and inks for the class to share.
Must be comfortable using an exacto knife.
• At least a half yard of light-colored, solid fabric to print on. Bring a variety if you’d like. Cotton and linen work best.
• Muslin or scraps to practice print
• One manila file folder for cutting stencils (recycling encouraged!)
• Ball point pen (must be ball point – not roller ball or felt tip)
• Exacto knife
• Cutting mat
• Scratch paper (a few pieces of copy paper is fine)
• Photos (on iphone or ipad is fine) for inspiration. Tip: Plants and flowers are a great place to start
Optional: A garment, table cloth, or other textile to print on
Limited pre-class work required.